The father of all e-sports, Starcraft was, is and always will be the main checkpoint that an RTS player should eventually pass. It was, even for an RTS-dummy like me, an unforgettable experience. After long years of waiting; the second game in the series, Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty was out, and I remember it like yesterday —hell, it’s been 7 seven years since its worldwide release.
Well, after seven years’ of waiting, as you can see from here, SC II: WoL became free! How come, let’s hear it from the boss Mike Morhaime:
StarCraft II is one of the highest-rated PC games of all time, and we’re excited to give even more people around the world a chance to find out why it has inspired such a passionate global community (…)
After getting your free cop of SCII, you will be able to relish the Terran campaign “Wings of Liberty” and if you already own WoL, Zerg storyline Heart of the Swarm will also be free for you. If not, well, you have to pay for HotS and Legacy of the Void. In other words, you’ll still need to pay to experience the full story. Let’s have a lending hand from a Redditor named Musicus and list the things that are free and freen’t. (Sorry)
- Everything about multiplayer is free
- Custom games & skirmishes are free
- All the commanders in co-op are free, but until level 5. Jim Raynor, Kerrigan and Artanis are free without level cap
- Wings of Liberty campaign is completely free
- The Legacy of the Void and Nova DLC campaigns are not free, even if you own the previous DLC such as WoL and HotS
Thanks Musicus, great nickname by the way!
You are not forgotten the true Starcraft fan! If you own all of the content about SCII, don’t worry, you will be getting some free skins and portraits. Yay!